Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Wednesday 7/21 Yakima Reservation

This week has been a fun and challenge-filled week and will definitely continue to be. So far I have worked a bathroom (a different one from Elizabeth and Stephanie’s) with Meghan Lynch. First we put in a light fixture above the sink, which was very frustrating, but we eventually got it done. We then started to install a fan for the bathroom, but it is hard because we do not know how were going connect the vent on the fan to the one in the ceiling. I then finished tearing up the rest of the kitchen floor, because much of it was already out and also so we could put new floor boards in. This is what I have done so far. I have also reconnected with people from last year and met new amazing people. I cannot wait to see what is in store for the rest of the week! This has been an incredible, unforgettable experience!

Tim D


So far this week at the reservation has been very productive and fun! We have gotten so much done, such as painting the bathroom and putting in a new floor. I’ve also worked on priming and painting the kitchen and another bedroom. Learning how to do these things by ourselves has been really great and we’ve had a ton of fun along the way. During our breaks we hang out with the five dogs or three babies that are around the house and outside. We also like to eat lunch with Aaron and Alyssa, the two children that live at the house- Aaron loves peanut-butter and jelly sandwiches with Doritos! Our group has really bonded and we all trust each other, which makes working much more enjoyable. My favorite parts of this week are definitely working with and getting to know my group and hanging out with the family that lives at the house we are working at. I’ll be bummed when the week is over!

Stephanie V



For the past few days our group has been working in a home filled with great kids, adults and even dogs. I didn’t know what to expect of the house, but I was ready for anything. In only a week, we had a lot to get done, so we split up into pairs and we were in charge of our own room. Stephanie V and I started on the bathroom. Even though it was a small bathroom, we had a ton of work to do. We started off taking off the door, the toilet, then the floor. Two days into the project Hannah M joined in and helped us out. Never in a million years would I think I would be remodeling a stranger’s bathroom. The amount of work is hard, but as the remodeling is progressing, you can tell that the family is very grateful for everything. This is an experience I will never forget!

Elizabeth B

No comments:

About Us

Renton, Washington, United States